High: °
Low: °
Chance of precipitation:


Saturday, March 24 News

Man arrested twice in two days

UPDATE: According to the state's attorney, the case against Jeffrey A. Cohen was dismissed.

Jeffrey A. Cohen, 42, of 140 Forest St., New Canaan, was arrested Feb. 1 on charges of third-degree criminal mischief, disorderly conduct and two counts of risk of injury to a minor.

On Feb. 2, he was arrested again on five counts of violation of criminal protective order after he contacted the victim.

At 10:26 p.m. Feb. 1, police received a report from a woman who said her husband, identified as Cohen, had kicked open and broken their bedroom door, according to the report. The woman called police from a neighbor's house after she fled her home with one of her two young children, police said. She also told police that her husband was angry and was yelling at her during the incident, according to police.

Cohen was arrested that night and released on $3,500 bond.

At about 1 p.m. the next day, the victim's sister called police saying she believed Cohen had contacted his wife, which would violate the conditions of his release, according to the report. Upon contacting the victim, police learned Cohen had pulled up his vehicle next to hers right after she stopped at a gas station on the Merritt Parkway with her children earlier that day, according to the report. The woman told police Cohen asked her if he could bring the kids to a museum in Norwalk, police said. The victim told police she let him bring the children there and that she realized he had tried to call her on her cellphone three times, according to the report. Sometime later, police said, Cohen called his wife again saying he would meet her outside the museum to give the kids back to her. Police went to the location and arrested Cohen for violating the protective order -- one count for each of the four phone calls and one count for meeting the victim at the gas station -- according to the report.

More Information

Fact box

Cohen posted $100,000 bond and was scheduled to appear in court Feb. 3.