°
High: °
Low: °
Wind:
Chance of precipitation:

Forecast

close
Thursday, December 13 Local

Bomb threat evacuates Boys and Girls Village

MILFORD - Students and staff at the Boys & Girls Village were evacuated because of a bomb threat Thursday morning.

Steven Kant, the CEO, said Boys & Girls Village, said am employee “received a text message warning that an explosive device had been placed at one of our facilities.”

He said “upon receipt of the threat, BGV staff immediately notified law enforcement and carried out a safe and orderly evacuation of its facilities.”

The text was received around 9 a.m.

The village on Wheelers Farm Road serves about 85 at-risk youth youth with behavioral, educational, vocational services. About two-thirds are day students and a third live on the campus.

Students and staff were evacuated and moved to another building near the campus.

Officer Michael DeVito said the Connecticut State Police Bomb Squad was called to the scene shortly after Milford police learned of the threat.

After searching the campus, the bomb squad cleared the scene at 10:40 a.m.

Students and staff were then allowed to return.

Kant said, “Boys & Girls Village has a full range of procedures in place to safely respond to any threat to the well-being or security of the organization, its clients, staff or other associates. Those procedures were followed this morning. We also have on staff a former senior law enforcement officer who is responsible for ensuring that all of our procedures and protocols are up-to-date and can be quickly and effectively employed if needed.

“We would like to thank state and local law enforcement officials for their prompt, thorough and professional response to this incident. This incident is now in their hands for further investigation. Boys & Girls Village will have no further comment on this matter in order to best protect the privacy and security of our clients, parents and staff.”

loading